History of the building


After the “blocus” with Richelieu, La Rochelle opens again its doors to the catholic religion. King Louis 13th orders that the nuns migrate in the “hospitalières” situated between the street RAMBAUD and the street SAINTES CLAIRES, where you can find gardens, convent and hospital.

The nuns were expelled at the end of the 18th century by the city authority which acquires the convent to transform it into fairground till the beginning of the 19th century. A part will be sold to a notable who will built a mansion at the middle of the 19th century. Nowadays, the hotel champlain and its wonderful garden occupies a part of this convent.

 

From the mansion to the 21th hotel, 3 generations

It’s in 1942 when Marie-hélène and Henri Brisson buy this mansion to enlarge it a few years later and transform it into hotel.

They give it the name of Champlain because Mrs Brisson admired this explorer. In 1984, the hotel was passed on to their daughter, Mrs Christiane Jouineau who knew how to continue and cultivate the inheritance of the good taste and the Hospitality.

Since 2005, her daughter, Anne Jouineau assures the sustainability of a family inheritance by accompanying the hotel in the 21st century, with all the modernity wished by the customers.